Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Creative Writing Assignment


In this past year, I have done quite a bit of creative writing: poetry, short stories, short film script, and writing for video games, and much more. I’ve learned, in theory, what it takes to create an engaging script that has dialogue, but how do I write a script for a silent film?

For my IPP (Independent Professional Project) I decided to write a script, score, and film a short silent film. This is going be quite the challenge! First, because I’m not even sure how I’m going to write a script for a silent film, my guess is that it will just have to have a lot of stage directions, and no dialogue. So that will be the first challenge. The second will be to compose and record music that will go along with this story -- something that will basically serve as a dialogue for my film since my actors will not speak. I want the music to still up emotions, and to tell half of the story.

To continue on the creative writing topic, I’ll show you one of the videos that inspired me to create a silent film. It’s a little longer than mine will be, but oh so good.



Not one word was spoken by the main actors in this entire short film – yes I did see the signs – mine will rely more heavily on the acting and music. Maybe some captions whenever it extremely necessary for the story.

So what I’m saying is that writing this kind of script requires quite the imagination. Imagination that I hope I have. For now, all I can do is spend the summer watching silent movies by Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd. Gotta love The Freshman!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home